Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Number 1 Reason NOT to Homeschool

Dear prospective homeschooling mum,

I got the comment I knew I would this month- did you?


"Well, I guess I can understand homeschooling better now."

In the wake of tragedy, it seems suddenly a lot more sane to people who always secretly consider us- me, you- kinda crazy.

But if you are reading this, and you're wondering about homeschooling, about whether it might be right for you and your family, please, please- I beg you- bear this in mind:

God does not want you to make decisions out of fear.

Homeschooling, at it's finest, is not a fear-based choice, a knee-jerk reaction to the ugliness and danger of
the world. 

And I've seen families where it was, and it is not a good thing. 

Homeschooling ought to be a choice of freedom, love, joy, and togetherness.  That's the number "1" thing I wish I could share with every prospective homeschooler.  O sure, it's nice to avoid some of the things kids pick up on the playground.  Nice to avoid competition over tennis shoes and Trapper Keepers (or whatever it is that's all the rage these days).  But to choose homeschooling because you are afraid of the alternatives... it's a dangerous thing.

Dangerous?  Yes, dangerous. 

So think about what God wants for you, and remember that he has "thoughts of peace, and not of evil" for you and your family in 2013.

All the best,
Maureen and breadwithhoney


"An optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in.  A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves."  ~Bill Vaughan


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...