Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Reasons NOT to Homeschool

There are a lot of things that I wanted to be when I grew up - but being a wife, a mother, and teacher were not in my plans.
I did not intend to get married.
After meeting the man of my dreams, I did.

I did not intend to become a momma.
After struggling with infertility & miscarriages, I did.

I did not intend to homeschool my girls.
I am.

I have no problems with public education.  Both my parents were teachers.  I have friends who are teachers.  We knew private schools were not an option for us, so we planned on sending the girls to the quaint little school across the street from our house.  It's a good, solid school system. The student to teacher ratio is excellent.  The test scores are good.

I am not good at math or science. I love music and literature, but can't stand art.  At all.  The thought of teaching Algebra makes me shiver.  Let's not even talk about biology.  

It would be nice to have a few hours to myself.  To have a clean house and be caught up on laundry.  To be able to run out and meet a friend for lunch without kids.  To sit and knit, or scrapbook or sew without interruption.  To shower on a daily basis.

Why do I homeschool?
The answer is simple.  I love our girls.  I love watching their faces light up when they finally understand a concept.  I love watching them bond over play dough and trains.  I love listening to Sophie sing the ABC song with Bella doing her best to keep up. 
THIS is what I was meant to do when I grew up.  To train up my girls in the ways they should go.  To teach them to follow the paths laid before them, especially when we are walking by faith.

Will you walk this path with me?  What made you decide to homeschool?

I am a pastor's wife and momma to our 2 miracle girls Sophie & Isabelle.  We are a licensed foster home for medically fragile infants and are hoping to add one or more of these precious children to our forever family.  I love talking about God's grace and love with people of all ages!  I blog about our crazy blessed life at OurGoodLife and would love to have you stop by and visit.  You can also find me on Twitter @AurieGood.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...