Monday, October 10, 2011

Connecting Our Homeschool to Our "Real Life"

One of my favorite things about homeschooling is that I can individualize the instruction to meet the needs, interests, and experiences of our family.  I plan instruction based on the things that Abigail enjoys, as well as things we do.  Over the summer, we took a vacation to Costa Rica.  To prepare Abigail, I created units on animals that we would see.  We studied frogs, sea turtles, monkeys, and crabs.  


We have also recently made trips to the aquarium, the zoo, and a pumpkin patch and followed up our trips with lessons and units based on things that we saw. 


Because I create my own curriculum, I can create learning based on our experiences.  Being able to connect our learning units to her daily experiences helps solidify Abigail's learning and makes her more excited about "doing school".  I am so glad that I have the freedom to teach Abigail about the things that are meaningful to her!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...