Monday, June 20, 2011

School is Where the Home Is




I was absolutely thrilled when I saw that Anita Mellott was looking for reviewers for her new devotion book, School is Where the Home Is: 180 Devotions for Parents. I was even more excited when I got a spot on the list!

As a mama who is new to homeschool, there is still so much that I don’t know, haven’t experienced, or that causes me anxiety. It is one of the reasons I am so glad that today’s homeschool isn’t “out mother’s homeschool”. Today there are so many more options, so much more support.

Still, there’s something about having that extra bit of encouragement first thing in the morning (or right before I go to bed at night). Anita Mellott is a homeschool mama herself—and her compassion and desire to raise her kids in the Lord’s way while educating them from home shows in each and every devotion. From light-hearted stories to advice for the hard times, her devotions link her experiences with God’s Word.

Each devotion is relatively short, easily read in 5 minutes or so…which is great for a SAHM trying to balance life and the snags it throws our way. I enjoyed the way she divided up the devotions into separate categories, which gives me a quick glance at what I can expect for the day. It will also come in handy when I refer to this book over and over when I am struggling in my daily walk with my kids on this journey of home education.

At the end of each day, Anita challenges us to reflect on the devotion in different ways—from personal questions to reading in the Bible to taking our own steps to influence positive change in our lives. Personalizing each devotion gives us something to go to the Lord about in our prayers.

I would recommend School is Where the Home Is for any homeschool parent, old or new. It comes with great advice and relatable stories. It’s easy to read and the short devos make it convenient, as well as useful. So, if you’re looking for a little extra encouragement, you can find our more information at:

Never underestimate the power of encouragement!

Do you have any recommendations for a good devo or even just an encouraging book for homeschooling parents?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...