Thursday, November 24, 2011

Hi, from the newbie

Hello, new friends! I hope this special day finds you all surrounded with the warmth and comfort of friends and family. I couldn’t think of a better day to join “Growing Your Homeschool.” I am thankful to be a part of this blog, thankful for the gift of home education. And most thankful for the awe-inpiring gift of motherhood. My name is Maureen
and I am a homeschooling mother of 3 delightful little people. (Isaiah almost 8, Rosemary almost 5, And John Paul just-turned-2.)

We live, at least for now, in the wild mountains of northern New Mexico.

When you read what I write, there are a couple things you’ll probably want to keep in mind.

I am not your typical homeschooling mama. I do not promote the use of curricula. I believe that children should be self-motivated, and I really, truly mean that. I mean it NOW, not ten years from now, when they turn 18. I believe that a nurturing environment is an education in itself. I believe academics prepare children for life in one way, but that education for living is a much broader thing, and that is what so many children, even many homeschooled children, are missing today.

I believe that if you don’t like it, change it!

I am always seeking a gentle path, a joyful path. I take education seriously, and I seriously consider the way children *feel* about their learning to be important. I want you to take everything I say with a grain of salt. No, TWO grains of salt. Because I am not the expert on your children.

YOU ARE!

I am really pleased and humbled to be here, sharing with you, walking with you. Thanks for having me! I can’t wait for us to get to know one another.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.


“Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.”
~Albert Einstein
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...