Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Making Memories

One of the things that I want most for my children is for them to have pleasant memories.  I want them to look back on their childhoods and smile about their experiences.  While I know that they will have some unpleasant memories, I try hard to give them good memories too.  

I try to do small things on a daily basis to make them smile and feel loved.  I place a small note in Abigail's school snack box every day.  


I take time to play with the girls.  I color, paint, read, play dolls, build Lego houses, etc. every single day.  It might get boring sometimes, but I love spending time with them and I want them to remember me as a part of their childhoods!

I also try to create larger memories of big events.  We host a large playgroup every week.  I bake mini muffins for the children and lead them in an art project each week.


We also host events for the girls' friends.  Last weekend, we hosted an Easter egg hunt for 30 children.  I hard boiled and dyed over 200 hundred eggs that my husband then hid in the yard.  It was a lot of work, but it was worth it!  And the girls have been talking about it ever since!


As I have been working hard to make memories for my children, I am also creating great memories of my own.  I know that I will only have my girls at home for a short time and I want to make the most of it.  One day, I want to be able to look back at all of the fun we had together!

I hope that my children grow up with happy childhoods and want to create similar experiences for their own children one day.

What special things do you do to make memories with (and for) your children?

Marla is a former special education teacher, current PhD student, university instructor, and stay-at-home, homeschooling mom of two little girls (ages 2 and 4).  She blogs about homeschooling at Marla's Motherhood Musings and her family's experiences living in Zambia at Our Life in Lusaka.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...