Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Breaking the Cycle

I'm going to be honest here.

I am not a perfect mom.

At all.  {are you suprised?}

Sophie and I have the same personality.  Some days it's a good thing.  Other days I struggled to keep my cool.

Some days we both got sent for some Quiet Time.

I quickly realized that we were feeding off of each other.  She was frustrated, so I was frustrated.  She raised her voice, so I raised my voice.  She cried, so I cried. 

Not good.

I was reading though the Duggar's book when a short sentence from Michelle caught my eye.  She was talking about getting her children's attention by talking quietly and getting down on their level.

I decided that the next time Sophie was having a tough time I'd try it.

A few days later Sophie didn't want to get her shoes on to go outside.  I went over, knelt in front of her and spoke in a quiet voice.  She actually stopped crying and whining and listened to what I was saying. 

By getting down on her level and not raising my voice, I broke the cycle and she calmed down super fast.  I also requested that she look in my eyes while I spoke with her.

The change has been amazing.

We've been doing this for about 3 months now.  She no longer flips out, and has learned to use a quiet voice instead of a yelling voice.

It's been wonderful!

Had you heard of this technique?  What do you do when your child is having a tough time?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...