Thursday, August 4, 2011

Letter of Intent

A new school year has either already begun, or is soon to get started for home educators. For those who are brand new to homeschooling, I hope you have done your homework and know what the laws are for your state regarding notification. We live in Kentucky, where it is fairly stress-free to homeschool. The one thing we are required to do each year is submit a letter of intent.
Every state is different, and you can easily see what your state requires by visiting HSLDA, where you will find a map and all of the info you need to keep your homeschool legal.
Our letter of intent looks like this:
XXXX County Board of Education                                                             July 27, 2011

123 Your Street

Your City, Your State 12345

ATTN: Director of Pupil Personnel

Director of Pupil Personnel,

This letter is to inform you that as of July 5th 2011, we will be home educating our children for the 2011-2012 academic school year, pursuant to all Kentucky revised statutes. Below are the names and ages of the children we will be educating, as well as information about our school.

Child #1  Kelley (13)

Child #2 Kelley (11)

Child #3 Kelley (8)

Child #4 Kelley (7)

Child #5 Kelley (5)

Our school, Kelley Christian Academy, will take place in our home at 123 Street, Our Town, KY 12345.

Phone: 555.555.5555

Names of Parents/Teachers:

Richard and Samantha Kelley


Rick Kelley

Samantha  Kelley

We are required to send this in every year, within two weeks of the start of the public school calendar.

It is not required, but I would highly advise that you send your letter of intent certified mail. This ensures that there is proof that you sent it, should a question ever arise. Just be sure to keep the stub the post office gives you. We keep ours in our homeschool binder, along with a signed copy of the letter intent that we mailed.

Homeschooling is such a wonderful freedom, but we do have rules that we need to follow to keep our school running legally.

If you have yet to check your laws out, head on over now to HSLDA, and make sure you have all of your papers that are required.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...