Thursday, October 27, 2011

Aloha!



Many, LORD my God,
   are the wonders you have done,
   the things you planned for us.
None can compare with you;
   were I to speak and tell of your deeds,
   they would be too many to declare. (Psalm 40:5)

I had a lot of ideas for this post.  I thought about sharing with you an idea for a game that will teach your children about electricity. And I never did finish my post about Making Good Memories.  So, this is going to be kind of a combo post, as well as my final post.  I have really enjoyed working with the ladies who contribute to Growing Your Homeschool.  I know they have been a blessing to me as well as many others.
I have learned so much in the last six months.  I have a degree in education and taught at a public school for two years, but homeschooling is a whole other can of beans.  When you are teaching in a classroom setting everyone automatically assumes you know what you are doing. (Well, for the most part anway.)  When you homeschool, everybody automatically assumes you don’t.  It can wear on you after a bit, especially when people close to you don’t get it. 
I want to encourage anybody that is new to homeschooling this year.  It is the end of October, almost November, and I am just now starting to feel like I am gaining momentum and pulling it together.  It takes time to work things out and figure out who you are as a homeschooling teacher, and also who your children are as learners.
Today I received Life of Fred, a math curriculum that combines literature with mathematics principles.  I had been really struggling with how to teach my son math.  I know what I would do in a classroom setting, but that was not going to work with him, so I had to find something new.  I am really excited about this new adventure, and I hope he will be too! 
I want to at least mention what was potentially going to be my third installment of Making Good Memories.  If you didn’t get a chance to read Part 1 and Part 2, just click on the highlighted links.  Morning and bedtime are really important times of the day.  I am still learning to be good at this, because usually I wake up dragging, and go to bed dragging.  But I endeavor every morning to tell each one of my children “Good Morning!” with cheer in my voice.  And before they go to bed at night, I pray, and sing them a song, and make sure they know I love them with a word, a hug, a kiss, and a big ASL “I love you.”
I have enjoyed so much writing for this blog.  We are moving soon, so I felt compelled to quit at this time to focus on my family.  I am very thankful for the opportunity to share with you some things I have learned along the way.
Many blessings to you all as you travel on this homeschool journey with your family.  I know God has great things planned for you!
In Christ's Love,
Beth

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...