Monday, March 12, 2012

Blogging Benefits Homeschoolers

Last spring, Ralene asked friends to join her in creating this homeschooling blog.  I immediately jumped at the opportunity.  Other than a private family blog that chronicles our children's days/experiences, I had never blogged and had spent very little time looking at blogs.  However, the prospect of sharing my experiences with others sounded like a fun adventure.  I initially started blogging as a small hobby.  I really enjoyed writing for this blog and soon created my own blog, where I write about the activities we do in our homeschool preschool.  Little did I know when I created that blog that being a homeschooling, blogging mommy would actually help me become better at homeschooling.  Today, I would like to share with you the top 5 ways that blogging benefits homeschooling moms.

1. You get to reflect on your experiences.  Sitting down to write about the lessons you completed with your child gives you the chance to think about their effectiveness and come up with solutions to problems.

2. You have a record of the work that you did with your children.  Your online journal becomes a portfolio of your child's work for you to review, to share with others, and to show your children.  I love going back and looking at the work we have done over the last few months and so does Abigail.

3. Linking up to linky parties forces you to look at the blogs of other homeschooling moms.  I cannot even begin to tell you how many fabulous learning ideas I have found by reading other moms' blogs.  If I did not blog, there is no way that I would spend time looking at other blogs!

4. You can connect with other homeschooling moms (even if only online).  Blogging about our homeschool has provided me with a network of other moms who support me and I support them.  We share feelings and ideas online.  I also got connected with a local preschool homeschooling group because one of the mothers saw my blog.

5. Blogging can keep you accountable in your homeschool (even when you don't want to do it).  Since my girls are still very young (ages 1 and 3), there are no legal requirements for my children to attend school.  We have chosen to begin homeschooling now because we feel that it is best for our girls.  There are some days, though, that I do not want to do it and would rather spend the day playing (or catching up on housework).  However, I want to have something to blog about (and don't want any of my online friends to question why we are taking another day off), so we still homeschool. 

Are you a blogger?  How does blogging help in your homeschool?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...