Thursday, April 5, 2012

When Opposition Comes

When we made the decision to homeschool Sophie, I was ready for some opposition from the local elementary school where Ken is on the school board.  
Surprisingly, the superintendent was supportive. She listened to our explanation, and didn't question why. She listed all the activities that Sophie would be allowed to participate in, even if she is home schooled.  There was no criticism. No backlash. At all.

However.....

When we've told our friends who have asked which school Sophie will be attending their reactions have been quite different. Hostile, questioning, hurtful.....and these are our friends!

I feel like they are waiting for us to fail - and I'm wondering how many of these friendships I should hold on to, and which ones I should back away from.

To be honest, I am a people pleaser. I don't like confrontation, and have always kept silent when I don't have a positive thing to say.  Now I'm forced to continually explain what I feel is a personal choice for my family....and I'm getting tired of it.

I could use some tips....what do you do when you are faced with the sarcastic questions, the looks, and the never ending "socialization" conversation? 

Aurie Good is a pastor's wife, a "retired" youth minister, and probably the most relaxed mom that you'll ever meet!  She blogs at Our Good Life with quips about life as a stay at home mom to two girly toddlers, two wild & crazy dogs, and one cranky cat.  She is married to her best friend and consider the simple life that they've created absolute bliss!  They are currently fostering a lively two year old little girl who keeps them on their toes!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...