Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Wrapping it up...

Our first year of homeschooling is coming to an end.

Technically, we should be done in a few weeks, however, the "breaks" we took have edged us into May.  If that's not an incentive for keeping on schedule next year, I don't know what is!

At the beginning of this Kindergarten year, my son knew his letters and knew their sounds.  At the end of this school year, he can read.

At the beginning of this Kindergarten year, my son knew how to count pretty high.  At the end of this school year, he can recognize his numbers, count to 100, and he knows that 0 + anything = 0.

He has memorized and recited an impressive list of poems, and he knows his Catechism better than most other children I know at his age.

I'd give him an A for this school year.

Thanks to Jessica's post about her "End of the year awards night" she has every year, I hope to do something of the same sort for P.  I think he would like to show off what he's learned to our family, and Skype makes it easy for the grandparents to join in the fun as well.

I already started looking through the 1st grade syllabus for next year, and I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief to see we would only need ONE new book.  Financially, this is a BLESSING.

God's timing was really nice to us this year.  As we wrap up school, we prepare to welcome our newest blessing in June.  This will give me about three months to re-coop and gain my strength back from having a c-section before starting a new school year with little sleep.  I'm more grateful for the three month break than my son, I think.

One thing I WILL continue to do this summer, however, is work on reading with P.  It seems to take him awhile to get back in the swing of things if we take a few days off--I can only imagine what a whole summer will do for him!

As the year wraps up, I have to say that my first year of homeschooling went a lot better than I thought it would.  I also enjoyed the process more than I thought I would, and I love watching my child evolve in his learning.

Here's hoping you and yours are enjoying the last few weeks of homeschooling and are looking forward to the next school year!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...